There are a lot of good reasons for the residents of Colorado Springs to choose granite countertops for their homes. In terms of practicality, they are unsurpassed. Durable and resistant to bacteria, scratches and burns, granite countertops add an average of 25% of their cost to the resale value of a home. Equally important, they provide the opportunity for homeowners to design living spaces as uniquely individual as they are.
Depending upon where it was formed, each slab of granite possesses its own unique characteristics. An igneous rock formed from magma, granite comes in a wide variety of shades, colors and patterns. Swirls are created by the shifting of tectonic plates during the cooling process. Surrounding minerals in the soil add beautifully colorful streaks. Granite is second only to diamonds in hardness. Since granite countertops last for decades, it’s important to view the entire slab of granite rather than just a sample before your purchase.
Part of the appeal of granite is that no two pieces are exactly alike. There can even be wide variations in pattern and color within a single slab. Viewing an entire slab reveals any features that an individual might find undesirable. While swirls might create the perfect effect for one design, specks or geometric patterns might work better with another. Some might view a deviation in a mineral pattern as an enhancement to its beauty and originality, while others might view it as a defect. Choosing the right granite countertops for your Colorado Springs home depends on your personal perspective, as well as the dimensions, design and lighting of each individual space.
At Planet Granite, we offer expert assistance in choosing a high-quality stone that will bring your unique vision to life. If you’re thinking of enhancing current décor with the beauty and practicality of granite or quartz countertops, we can help. Come visit us at our Colorado Springs showroom or give us a call at 719-522-0748 today.
You probably use your home’s bathroom multiple times, every day. Why not make it as beautiful as possible by updating it with real granite? Granite’s appearance and durability make it a natural choice for a high-traffic, damp environment. Whether you are planning to install a granite countertop or backsplash, or use granite tiles as your flooring or in the shower, these tips give you a few guidelines you can use when choosing the perfect granite for your bathroom.
Tips on Choosing Granite for Your Bathroom
- Granite is a real stone. Therefore, slabs of granite have naturally occurring variations in color and appearance. Although you can choose the general appearance of your granite, you shouldn’t expect a uniform look. This is a good thing. Slight variations will give your bathroom a more natural appearance.
- Tiles made from granite are typically thicker than those which come from a factory. Don’t be afraid of selecting thicker, heavier tiles than normal, but you have to have a plan for how to install these types of heavier tiles.
- Don’t use wide grout lines and select a grout color which blends in with the look of your granite. Many people use grout as a decorative element when installing ceramic tiles. Don’t do it with granite. You want your stone to stand out, not your grout.
- Many designers suggest using larger tiles for flooring, and smaller tile for the walls. The larger floor tiles make smaller bathrooms feel larger, while smaller wall tiles are easier to install than larger, heavier tiles.
- Everything from toothpaste to make-up remover may spill onto your granite countertop. Granite is good at resisting stains, but it is still semi-porous. That means you need to plan on sealing your granite regularly.
Are you thinking about remodeling your bathroom and adding real granite countertops? The Colorado Springs granite countertop experts, Planet Granite can help. Call 719-522-0748 to learn more.
If you’ve been thinking about upgrading your kitchen countertops, consider the conversational character of granite.
Imagine this: Your dinner guests have abandoned your dining room and gathered in your kitchen — again. And what do they want to talk about? Your beautiful granite countertops. After you’ve told them who installed them, what other granite stories can you tell them?
Plenty! Read on to learn more.
5 Fascinating Facts about the Granite in Granite Countertops
· Granite is our planet. Most of the continental shelves are made of granite.
· Granite is a huge part of history. It has existed almost as long as the earth, which is a real demonstration as to the durability of the surface! Having granite in your home is like utilizing one of the planet’s most timeless and beautiful treasures.
· Granite makes rock climbing fun. Mountaineers love climbing granite ledges because granite rarely breaks. Climbing gyms all around the country follow nature’s example and use granite for their rock climbing walls. Nothing keeps you on the side of the mountain like a sturdy handhold!
· Granite’s hardness is second only to diamond’s. This feature makes it a great countertop. You can use your knives on granite countertops all day long. Unless you’re using your diamond-edged knife, you won’t scratch it.
· Granite is the choice of monument makers. For millennia, monument makers have chosen granite when they want to make that special statement. The Pyramids of Giza, the Statute of Liberty and the mysterious stone circles of Stonehenge all use granite.
Call Us About Beautiful Granite Countertops
Keep your dinner guests easily entertained with intriguing granite countertops in your Colorado Springs home. Call us at 719-522-0748 or send us a message online to learn more about the fascinating ways you can upgrade your countertops.
Granite has been a hot trend in home and business decor for years and for good reasons: it’s a stylish, durable and versatile material. Granite countertops are heat- and scratch-resistant and the fine, non-porous grain makes them stain-resistant as well. They are ideal throughout the house, from the kitchen to bathroom and beyond. If you keep a home or business in the Colorado Springs area, Planet Granite can connect you with the finest granite countertops.
How to Mix and Match Granite to Get the Look You Want
For a modern, contemporary style, consider colors like black or deep grey. Add brighter contrast with pale, creamy tones. This can look great when paired with dark wood accents throughout the space. For a warmer, relaxed appearance, choose neutral browns and mid-tone grey shades with subtle patterns. To make your counter the focal point of the room, look for spectacular green and gold granites.
Colorado Springs’ Granite Countertops Experts
At Planet Granite, our experts will help you find the exact right piece to fit the unique aesthetic of your business or home. We import from both local quarries and sources around the world to offer a wide variety of stunning colors, shades, textures and countertop sizes.
Our design process is easy, from start to finish. Contact us to set up a free consultation at your convenience. One of our talented and experienced designers will come to your home or business to measure the space and discuss your goals and budget. You’ll be given a free estimate and the designer will answer any questions you may have. Once you give the go-ahead, the countertops will be installed quickly.
Planet Granite is the Colorado Springs’ premier granite countertop expert. No matter the size of the project, we can help bring your design vision to life. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for your granite countertop upgrade.
If you have a granite countertop in your home, you might have heard about sealing. This process involves applying a layer of sealer on the surface of the granite to protect it from stains. While it might sound tempting to try, how can you know for sure if sealing your granite countertops is the right choice?
Perform the Granite Sealing Test
Luckily, there’s an easy test you can perform to determine if your countertop needs to be sealed. To start, take a dish cloth and soak it with water or mineral oil. Next, gently rub this cloth onto your granite countertop. If you notice that the area has become darker, this means that it has absorbed the liquid. This is definitely a sign that you should have your granite sealed, as it is vulnerable to stains from food and liquids.
However, if the liquid is simply pooling on the surface and can easily be wiped up, you probably don’t need a new coating of sealer on your countertops.
Can I Just Apply a Coat of Sealer Myself?
While the hardware store does sell products that you can use to seal your granite countertops on your own, this isn’t a good idea for several reasons.
First of all, most of these products are a much inferior quality to the type of sealer that professionals use. The product you buy at the store might only last for a few months, after which you will once again be susceptible to stains. However, by choosing to have your countertop professionally sealed, you will guarantee the protection of your granite for up to 15 years.
Ready to take the plunge and get your countertops sealed? As a premiere Atlanta home remodeling service, Planet Granite can help residents of Colorado Springs with granite countertops get a long-lasting and maintenance-free seal that will last for years. Just call us today for a free consultation and estimate.
When it comes time to upgrade your kitchen in Colorado Springs, granite countertops are probably at the top of your list. However, did you realize that there are actually several different granite finishes to choose from? Polished, flamed and honed finishes each offer a unique vibe that can change the look and feel of a room.
A polished finish is the standard granite countertop look. It’s the most common finish by far because it provides a sophisticated and shiny vibe in kitchens. Because of the glossy surface, a polished finish is much easier to keep clean, as dirt and grime can simply be wiped off. Additionally, a polished finish allows the natural variations and colors in the stone to really shine through, adding a bit of sparkle and poise to bland kitchens.
Much like the name suggest, a flamed finish is the result of exposing the granite to extremely high temperatures. After the stone has been heated, it is then immediately exposed to cold temperatures. This causes some of the crystals inside the stone to crack and shatter, leaving the surface riddled with texture. While it will have a rougher appearance, a flamed finish really highlights the natural beauty of the granite slab.
Honed finishes are starting to give standard polished finishes a run for their money. Instead of the high shine look, a honed finish features a slightly less sparkling tone. This look is highly elegant and perfect for contemporary homes, but can also be a little bit harder to clean as it is more absorbent. However, as long as you wipe down spills right away, you should have no problems keeping it stain free.
If you’re looking to upgrade your kitchen countertops in Colorado Springs, contact Planet Granite today. We are Atlanta’s home remodeling experts and can provide you with a free in-home consultation for your new granite countertops.
Choosing the best kitchen countertops in Colorado Springs may be difficult considering the benefits of both granite and quartz. Each material will increase the overall value of your home while adding class to your kitchen. Although the ideal surface for you ultimately revolves around personal preferences and your budget, you can rest easy knowing that either product will provide years of hassle free use and easy to maintain beauty.
Choosing Between Granite and Quartz
Granite countertops have the following characteristics:
- Elegant beauty. Granite adds an element of luxury to your kitchen and is available in a variety of colors.
- Simplicity. Granite surfaces are extremely easy to clean and maintain.
- A resistant surface. Granite resists heat, dirt and bacteria.
- Hardness. Short of dropping an extremely heavy object on your countertop, it is very difficult to damage granite.
Some people prefer a quartz surface which offers the following benefits:
- Stain resistance. Quartz is a material made from stone which is highly resistant to stains and does not need to be sealed like granite.
- A slightly softer surface. Quartz is highly durable yet more chip resistant than granite due to its slightly softer surface.
- Seams which are easy to conceal. The seams between slabs of quartz become very subtle once the countertops are installed.
- Resistance to bacteria. With simple cleaning, you won’t need to worry about spreading germs to your family members.
- Lower cost. When compared to granite, quartz is less expensive to install and gives your home a more modern appearance.
A Personal Choice Which Adds Value to Your Home
Regardless of which type of countertop you determine will most effectively meet your needs, both granite and quartz will add elegance to your kitchen area and increase the overall value of your home. When you are ready to select the perfect slab for your granite or quartz countertops in Colorado Springs, give us a call at Planet Granite.
Kitchen decorating trends change annually and sometimes in the middle of the year, but there’s one thing that hasn’t changed in centuries, and that’s the timeless beauty of granite. It’s always in style.
It’s an easy choice, but what confounds many people shopping for Colorado Springs kitchen countertops is what color to choose. That’s because they instinctively understand that there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to colors in the kitchen. Here’s a look at the most popular colors and their benefits.
Best Colors For Granite Kitchen Countertops
- White. A lot of people shy away from white because they feel it’s too plain and sanitized, like a hospital operating room. But granite is never plain, there are always veins and flecks of darker colors within, and there are several shades of whiteness. White also makes your kitchen space look larger.
- Brown. A great choice for those wishing to create a warm, homey and rustic type of feel. It also works well with many different cabinet tones, especially lighter shades.
- Beige. This is probably the most versatile color because it works with well many different decor options. Like brown, it’s a great for conveying a rustic atmosphere, and it matches up well with wood cabinets and decorations.
- Black. If you definitely want granite countertops but also would like a solid color, black is the way to go. No need to have a dark decor with this color, instead let it stand out as the centerpiece of your kitchen.
- Jewel-tone. For something bit different and exotic, try this interesting type of granite. It’s striking and eye-catching in its appearance, but it requires a bit more nuance when decorating.
Remember, the color of your granite countertops can change the atmosphere, the emotional impact and even the practical utility of your kitchen.
Have questions about choosing the right granite countertops in Colorado Springs? Contact us at 719-522-0748 or drop us a line online for answers anytime.
Your dining room table should be the perfect gathering spot for family and friends to enjoy meals together and the room’s focal point. If you want to make a bold statement with timeless appeal, granite dining tables are always showstoppers. While it’s a big investment, it will last a lifetime, and is more cost effective than wood in many cases. Your table will always be in fashion, because it’s made of building materials dating back to ancient civilizations who mined it long ago. Granite tabletops in Colorado Springs make attractive alternatives to uninspired wood tabletops and offer natural beauty encased in a sturdier environment.
You need a well-crafted, strong dining room table that will stand the test of time. After years of wear and tear from dinner parties, a granite tabletop will still be a stunning feature. That’s because granite is scratch and burn resistant. You can place hot pans directly on the surface without scorching and cut on it without a single scratch.
Besides being heavy duty, every meal will be memorable when eaten on granite, which comes in almost any color imaginable. Choose from a rainbow of shades to match any decor or design aesthetic. Then, opt for custom edge-work and lay out the design of the table for a truly artistic piece.
Granite tabletops can be designed in any shape or size, which makes it easier for designing one to fit irregular spaces or when you want something unique. If you’re looking for an oversized table, custom sizes are easily obtainable and many are larger than standard dining room tables. No matter which shape, size or color you choose, you’ll also benefit from ease of cleaning and maintenance.
Granite countertops in Colorado Springs are also perfect for adding stunning features to your kitchen and bathrooms, guests will remember. Make every room more memorable by calling 719-522-0748 to schedule an appointment to upgrade your countertops today.
After selecting the ideal slab for your granite countertops in Colorado Springs, you’ll need to focus on choosing the best edge profile. The edge profile is that part of the countertop that you and your family and guests will notice first thing as they walk into the room and admire your countertops, so it pays to give the edge profile careful consideration. Here are the various options your granite countertops supplier in Colorado Springs can offer you.
Straight edges are suitable for kitchens with classic lines and a non-nonsense vibe. When you see a granite countertop with a straight edge, you know the cook is serious about cooking, cleaning and getting the job done with a minimum of frills. It’s not that a straight edge has no style; the style is the straight edge. It’s classic, practical and the easiest to clean of all the edge profile options.
Curved edges are available in several different profiles, from the simple to the ornate. They lend a smoothness to the countertop and can help to balance out a kitchen or bathroom with a modern design, so they work well in a classic room as well as in a room with a distinct contemporary design. Depending on the ornateness, a curved edge can be simple to keep clean or require a little more detailed cleaning attention.
Fancy edges might consist of ones such as a double-curved edge, a chiseled edge, a Versailles step edge, or a Roman Ovollo. Don’t be intimidated by the names. They just help to describe the look so you and your Colorado Springs granite countertops installer can discuss options. Fancy edge profiles will cost more than, say a straight edge profile, but when you consider that you will have your countertop for a lifetime or more, the extra upfront cost is usually something that homeowners consider to be worth it.
Your granite countertop installer can show you drawings and samples of countertop edge profiles for you to carefully examine before making your final decision. For more information about the hundreds of choices available to you for your granite countertops, contact us today.